“Pursuit of the Golden Lily” is a new novel by R. Emery, inspired by her father's WWII POW diary. Initially documenting the author's journey to return the diary to Thailand where it was written, the Blog now follows her experiences as she self-publishes, launches the novel and reflects on topics woven into the narrative.

Friday 28 August 2015

My Dad

My Dad loved music.  That's him on the left playing alto sax. I once asked him if he had any regrets - only that he had not played more music, he responded. My love of music came from him. Every night, as a child, I fell asleep to the sound of him playing piano in the room below. This journey was written in my destiny seventy-three years ago, when Captain Edward Joseph Emery sat on the banks of the River Khwae Noi, and wrote in his journal.  Now, I am preparing to leave for Thailand where I shall return this small brown exercise book to the land where it was written. My heart is filled with gratitude for all the people who have rallied to help me realize this dream. I know my dad, more than anyone, would have been grateful to them too. Our lives are blips on the cosmic screen, it is the small slivers of history, like this diary, that remind us who was here, what went on. Witness to history.

No comments:

Post a Comment